Sunday, February 28, 2010



Along with the standard functional-ware created by most potters, Long tends to make vessels such as flasks, wine bottles, and sake sets. His theme and thought behind these vessels suggests more than just alcohol consumption, something that intrigued me when listening to a lecture of his this past summer. Long expressed that his work is not about the alcohol, but instead is about the company that surrounds someone when vessels such as a flask are in use. This idea of community is also applicable to the coffee and tea pots that Long often creates and is explained in this quote from a 2004 article in Cermaics Daily (accessible for download at the bottom of this webpage http://ceramicartsdaily.org/bookstore/vessles-for-victory-by-matt-long/) “To be in the front of the cupboard, to be on the counter top, to be set on a table where someone is having a conversation with someone they care about: that matters more to me than making money or driving a better car. Maybe my flasks get passed around at a family gathering to celebrate the new year, an anniversary, or the birth of a child—events that really define who we are.”

3 comments:

  1. This guy is friggin awesome. I love the soft transitions and the subdued colors. The red and white on the teapot are beautiful, and the shape is so nice. The design of the colors reminds me of a flame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This artists work is amazing. His use of the soda firing to get the colors and results that he does is so interesting. I also really liked the quote that was included about why he makes his pieces, I think that is an excellent reason to make the pieces that he makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Joe. That teapot is phenomenal. The form is really bizarre; it almost looks like it's melting. But it's still functional, which I really like. I wish I could get my glazes to turn out that well, because that one is freaking sweet.

    ReplyDelete